Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Amaretto and Raisin Rice Pudding



For some inexplicable reason I was craving rice pudding, something I had never had before.

Since I didn't know if I would like it or not, I decided to head to the fridge section of the supermarket and pick one up. The sheer disappointment when I got home and discovered that I had only picked up a stupid yogurt! So, I took this as a sign to make some.

I followed the basic recipe on the back of the pack, to just cook the rice but upped the volume a little bit. Obviously I couldn't just leave it as the pack had suggested. I had to add some yummy things-sweet almond liqueur called Amaretto and a fistful of raisins.

I can now safely say, I like rice pudding!



Ingredients:
Serves 8-10 generously, can easily be halved.

3 Cups Water
1 1/2 Cups Uncooked Pudding Rice
5 Cups Whole Milk
1 Cup Double Cream
1/2 Cup Castor Sugar
1/3 Unsalted Butter
1/4 Cup Amaretto
1 Cup Raisins
Pinch of Salt
Zest of a Lemon

Method:
1. Begin by cooking the rice. Bring the 3 cups of water to the boil, stir in the lemon zest, rice and a pinch of salt.
2. Reduce heat and simmer until the water has been absorbed, stirring occasionally.
3. Remove to a dish.
4. In a large pan place the butter, milk, cream and sugar. Bring to the boil.
5. Add the rice, raisins and Amaretto and cook down until rich and creamy about 20-30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
6.Place in a serving dish and serve lovely and hot or delicious and cold.

*If you are cooling this before serving, transfer to a dish and cover with cling film directly on top of the rice pudding so a skin doesn't form*







No comments:

Post a Comment